Tuesday 20 October 2015

Hearts Made Whole by Jody Headlong (Review by Ashley Nikole)

I've read a handful of Jody Hedlund's books in the past, not been a huge fan (I'll get into the why) but saw this was a book immediately following the Civil War (I have a fascination with books from that time period currently), so I picked it up and gave it a read.

I loved the plot and how the main character's Caroline and Ryan came together in a tough predicament. Their romance was sweet and touching- it didn't venture into anything too steamy, but it was passionate and real.

Seeing Ryan struggle through remembering his past crimes from his days in the war, and learning how to cope without (and with) drinking himself into oblivion, was real and raw, making you feel as though you weren't just reading a story, you were there.

The one thing I didn't like about this book, which subsequently ruined the whole book (nasty when that happens) was the villain.


--------SPOILERS BELOW ------ WARNING!!!

Arnie Simmons (the bad dude that no one knows is the bad dude until it's too late) just personally, REALLY got on my nerves. I totally get that the bad guy is supposed to do that, but he did in a way that made me irked to even read about him as a villain.
He was gross, a seriously sorry excuse for a man, a coward, and weird weird weird. This high dislike for villains like him, is simply a personal preference of mine...so don't go discounting her writing for YOU, because sometimes the villains rub ME the wrong way.

Jody is a gifted author, I truly believe that, but you know, 'different folks, different strokes' it simply doesn't work for me- generally.
Reason being?
Several of the bad guys in previous books were religious people, who were straight up perverts. Like major creepo's. Again, I know that there are religious people out there who claim to be good, but are actually quite evil, but just for me, it really can work me into a dither when I read about a pious individual who is a total hypocrite and is a MAJOR VILLAIN. It just makes me feel slimed with crapola. Just me. Not everyone will feel that way.

But on the flip-side, two of her books were some of my favourites. So, sometimes it works for me to read & love her books, other times they can rub me the wrong way.

So for this book, I'd give it a 2 Stars outta 5. And that's all personal preference...not because I felt her writing wasn't good. Because she writes very well. Romance was on point. Good plot. Relatable characters.

Read this book? What were your thoughts?




No comments:

Post a Comment