Tuesday 20 October 2015

Against The Tide by Elizabeth Camden (Review by Ashley Nikole)

Ahh...I was not expecting this book to go where it did, but it was fabulous. I was thinking, 'nice historical fiction with some military (navy) involvement, & a tad bit of suspense' but I was positively blown away by what I found within the pages of this book (in a good kind of way).

Against the Tide is beautifully set in 1876 Boston. I love all the historical detail in this book...it doesn't feel like someone is writing historical fiction, it feels like you are IN history.


PLOT:

It took a bit of time to build, with a slower beginning, but once you reach the halfway point- look out people! I couldn't stop reading until I finished. A literal page-turner.

ROMANCE: 

It was sweet, nothing overtly passionate but it was purely genuine. I appreciated Bane & Lydia's relationship, as friends as well as romantic interests. I fell in love with their individual character's, but even moreso with them as a couple. Their relationship didn't feel like the vast majority of relationships I've read on paper. It was fresh, raw & truly beautiful.


#plottwist
I was not expecting this novel to have an entire subplot about substance abuse. I found it intriguing, given the time period and how certain people found themselves addicted to drugs (some unknowingly) & how they dealt with their dependency on the drug. So if you're a younger reader, (below 16) I'd suggest you shelve this book for a few years.

CONCLUSION:

The suspense of this book took me entirely by surprise. I don't think I've read a historical fiction book so heavy laden with it, and I loved every minute. It was so intense- and the plot just WORKED, people. An absolute stunner of a book. Granted, it is a heavier read with the content involved, but SO GOOD.


Definitely in my top 10 favourite books OF ALL TIME

5 out of 5 stars for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment