Monday 21 December 2015

Cold Shot by Dani Pettrey (Review by Ashley Nikole)

Cold Shot is released February 2016!
As I read an ARC (advanced reading copy) of this one, I didn't have a physical copy to take a photo of, so please forgive the image grab off of goodreads! 

PLOT: 
Well thought out & executed. Intricate details make this read the kind where your brains need to be in fully functioning mode- not before bed or when you're not entirely committed to being focused. Pace was good & the plot flowed well- nothing choppy or out of place. I certainly did not see the ending coming how it did! The plot totally threw me for a loop. 

VIOLENCE: 
Given this being a type of suspense/murder mystery type book, violence & creepy stuff is a given. Genocides are spoken of (in past tense) and described, with their share of gory details. Characters talk about people (some close to them) that have been murdered/raped/tortured. 
Again, given this type of genre and plot, one of our MC's being a forensic anthropologist, examining human remains, how they died/were murdered, body drops etc. is a common topic. 
If that kind of stuff creeps you out- maybe give this book a pass. 

SEXUAL CONTENT: 
Characters fall in love. There is mention of a character (in past tense) being raped (a reference, nothing in detail), another being touched inappropriately by her abductor. Someone runs a sex tourism business with underage girls (we never see it, but it is spoken of by others).

CONCLUSION: 
Brilliant plot, filled with diverse and relatable characters, suspense and sooo many questions!! Personally for me, I found the amount and kind of bad stuff in this book weighed a little heavy on, and left me feeling kinda blah & gross. Another day it might have been entirely fine- just not the day I read it, haha. My lower rating in no way reflects bad writing on the author's part- merely my own personal preference for reading content at the particular time. 
Dani has a gift with words, plots & characters (I loved the Parker, Griff, Declan & crew). 

For those of you who like a gripping murder mystery with some awesome MC's, this book hits stores February 2016! 

Rating: 2 Stars (for my own personal enjoyment) but that aside, 5 stars for the writing, plot & amazing characters. 
Ages: 18+

Honest review given after reading an ARC from NetGalley of Cold Shot

No comments:

Post a Comment