Friday 29 March 2019

February 2019 Reads

February reading roundup--here we come! 

1) In Shadows \\ Sharon Sala \\ 3 Stars

A short, fast-paced read with plenty of plot-related intensity. It lacked somewhat of the "it factor" for me, mostly because it felt too short and incomplete where Shelley & Jack's relationship was concerned. Would've liked for the few scenes they were actually together to have been not so...ahem...explicit, but yeah. I felt like their relationship could've been so much more...but I loved how committed they were to each other as a married couple, which is usually only portrayed in dating couples, but still I wanted more from their relationship! They spent such a small amount of time together, and it was either full-blown, explicit sex--or no romance, period. I would've liked a bit more of the in between, with some sweet romantic moments that don't end in R rated scenes. 
And one more note on sex scenes--I'm not a fan of them, but I'm super not a fan of being crashed into a sex scene with no warning--for the bad guy. Ew--FREAKING SQUARED. That's disgusting! And there's honestly no reason for it. Even though I skipped the scene--I still caught enough to be puking in my mouth a little. 

Also, Sala is one of the few authors I've encountered (apart from newb authors) who switches POV's (point of view) from character to character to character, with NO PARAGRAPH BREAK denoting it's a new point of view we're receiving. 
Eeeep! As a reader, that style drives me nuts, and I honestly thought only newb authors did it because they hadn't perfected their writing style and were making a sloppy writing mistake? But anyway, I find it jarring to be in Sally's head, then Joe's, then Frank's, all in one scene! 
Yikes. 
Whatever writing technique that is, I dooooon't enjoy it. Not one little bit. 

But so far, in reading two of Sala's books, I really enjoy her writing style (aforementioned POV fiasco aside), and some of the moments between characters are surprisingly deep. The sex scenes aren't my thing, but I do love her writing style and how she writes characters (for the most part) and plots.

2) The Lady of Shalott \\ Tennyson \\ 5 Stars 
Such beautiful, haunting writing! How magical & romantic, yet tragic this poem is!


















3) Whisper \\ Lynette Noni \\ 5 Stars

Second or third time reading through this one! 

How much power do our words hold? A lot more than you realize. 

Whoa. What a book. I'm only slightly groaning over here because book 2 is not out yet, and I need it, like--yesterday! 
When I started Whisper I didn't know it was going to turn into mutants or people with special powers, but hey, I didn't mind it when it happened. I was like--hey, cool. I'm digging this. 
I loved the plot--I was surprised by all the twists and turns and gaping like a codfish for others. The characters--check. Loved them and their different relationships with J.D. 

I very much enjoyed the foray into showing just how much power our words truly have. When I started reading I was thinking to myself "wouldn't it be interesting if someone wrote a book showcasing how powerful our words are?" and then bam. That's what the book is about. I loved how it was written and executed and how it played out. Now I really need to get my hands on book 2!


4) The Traitor's Ruin \\ Erin Beaty \\ 4 Stars

The book curse on the copyright page sucked--who even does that?--but the plot was woven well and I enjoyed the characters. The atmosphere was lovely, and though set in a fantasy world, it reminded me of the medieval time period--which I always love.















5) Solace Island \\ Meg Tilly \\ 2 Stars

Some cute moments and a beautiful island atmosphere (this book had potential--great potential!) but it was just so dang smutty. I don't know how Solace Island floated by an Erotic labelling and just get slotted into Romantic Suspense. Romantic Suspense, MY EYE. If I read the word 'cock' or 'erection' one more time, I'm going to toss my toast. 

Add to that, the plot didn't really get moving until halfway into the already pretty short book, so by the end, it ended up feeling rushed and like we didn't have time to get to know the characters or the flow of the story.










6) Dead to the Last Drop \\ Cleo Coyle \\  4 Stars 

Dead to the Last Drop had such a multi-faceted plot--it was really quite clever. I'd love to see something like this make it into movie form.
I felt the emphasis was more on the plot than the characters, if that makes sense? Yes, the characters were all fine and good, but I didn't feel like, as a reader, we ever got one of those "reader-character" connections, ya know? So, to me the emphasis was on the complex plot, rather than on meaningful character interactions or romance. Which is fine. 

The one thing that irked me about Dead to the Last Drop, is that most of the story was told in retrospect, in the retelling of certain events. 
For instance, Clare is fleeing the law with her agent boyfriend Quinn, and instead of progressing with the story in real time, Clare tells Quinn--like thirty stories!--about how they've come to the situation they are currently in. Then another question, and do we move forward with the plot? Nope. We get ANOTHER backstory. I just don't get down with that style of storytelling, personally, as I like to see things unfold as they unfold, and not hear about them later, as a memory. 

But all in all--a truly brilliant, layered plot.


7) Anything but Ordinary \\ Lara Avery \\ 2 Stars

Really tragic coming-of-age story. I wasn't expecting the ending--but...that happened! It was an interesting plot, I just didn't much care for the depressing slant...

















There we have it! 
My favourite read this month was The Traitor's Ruin. Everything (apart from the word curse thing on the copyright page that I just hated) was so well done. Plot, characters, setting, atmosphere--all of it. Just such a tasty nuggle. Can't wait to read the third book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment